Monday, August 17, 2009

The Tongue

He was a new clerk in the greens goods department of a supermarket. A lady came up to him and said she wanted to buy half a head of lettuce. He tried to dissuade her from that goal, but she persisted. Finally he said, “I’ll have to go back and talk to the manager.” He went to the rear of the store to talk to the manager, not noticing that the woman was walking right behind him. When he got into the back of the store, he said to the manager, “There’s some stupid old bag out there who wants to buy half a head of lettuce. What should I tell her?” Seeing the horrified look on the face of the manager, he turned around, and seeing the woman, added, “And this nice lady wants to buy the other half of the head of lettuce. Will it be alright?” Considerably relieved, the manager said, “That would be fine.” Later in the day, he congratulated the boy on his quick thinking. He then asked, “Where are you from, son?” The boy said, “I’m from Toronto, Canada, the home of beautiful hockey players and ugly women.” The manager looked at him and said, “My wife is from Toronto.” The boy said, “Oh, what team did she play for?” (From Bruce Thielemann, “Because,” Preaching Today, Tape No. 105).

It’s amazing what a little member in the body can do. As one person said, “Because the tongue is in a wet place, it can easily slip.” Warren Wiersbe, in his book “Be Mature,” tells about a pastor friend who told him “about a member of his church who was a notorious gossip. She would ‘hang on the phone’ most of the day, sharing tidbits with any and all who would listen. She came to the pastor one day and said, ‘Pastor, the Lord has convicted me of my sin of gossip. My tongue is getting me and others into trouble.’ My friend knew she was not sincere because she had gone through that routine before. Guardedly he asked, ‘Well, what do you plan to do?’ ‘I want to put my tongue on the altar,’ she replied with pious fervor. Calmly my friend replied, ‘There isn’t an altar big enough,’ and he left her to think it over’” (89).

No comments: