Friday, June 01, 2007

What About Grey Areas?

For the past week or so we have looked at the will of God. I have been sharing from John MacArthur’s book, “Found God’s Will”, that God’s will is for you to be saved, Spirit-filled, sanctified, submissive, suffering, and saying thanks. Each of those major points have given us many things to think about concerning God’s will. Today, I want to conclude with talking about grey areas. What are grey areas? These are areas that the Bible is silent on. If the Bible is silent then how can I know what is God’s will? First, you must be doing what we have already mentioned. Second, you can ask the following 10 questions to determine God’s Will.



The first question is, “Will it be spiritually profitable?” 1 Corinthians 6:12 says, “All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.” Some things can be wrong if they keep you from doing things that enhance your spiritual life.



The second question, “Will if edify?” Will it put you on the path to greater spiritual maturity? 1 Corinthians 10:23 says, “All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.”



The third question, “Will if lead to excess?” Hebrews 12:1 says, “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.” Will it hinder you as you run the Christian race? Being out late Saturday night is not a sin, but it may not be the best choice if it leave you too tired to concentrate at church Sunday morning.



The fourth question, “Will it bring me under its control?” 1 Corinthians 6:12 again says, “All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.” We all know it’s wrong to be controlled by drink or drugs (I consider cigarettes a form of a drug because of the nicotine and it’s control). But it is also wrong to be controlled by music, sports or tv?

A fifth question is “Will it cause me to use my freedom in Christ as a cover for catering to evil, sinful desires?” 1 Peter 2:16 says, “As free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God.”



A sixth question is, “Will it violate the lordship of Christ in my life?” (See Romans 14:2-8). Don’t let others talk you into doing what you don’t think the Lord would have you to do.



A seventh question is, “Will doing this set a good or a bad example for others to follow?” 1 Corinthians 8:9 says, “But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.”



An eighth question is, “Will it cause non-believers to see a difference in my life?”



A ninth question is, “Would Jesus do it?”



Finally, “Will it glorify God?”



If you apply all these principles then it will reveal who is controlling your desires. Psalm 37:4 says, “Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.” Are you saved, Spirit-filled, sanctified, submissive, suffering, and saying thanks?

No comments: