Sunday, June 18, 2006

Husbands Love Your Wives


I met a man yesterday as he was browsing through the Valentine's Day cards who told me he has been married for 45 years. Isn't that wonderful? You don't hear that kind of statement too often. My parents recently celebrated their 52nd wedding. My wife and I have been married for 18 years and I cherish every moment! Someone also said to me recently that they had the weekend off without the kids. I told her that I wanted every time I had to be with my wife and kids. That's what matters most! We spin our wheels trying to make something of ourselves in this world but what really matters is the home.

In today's passage, the apostle Paul reminds the Ephesians about the home when he says, "Husbands love your wives" (Eph.5:25). If your relationship is to be everlasting it must be characterized by a sacrificial love. Colossians 3:19 states it essentially the same way but adds a bit more when Paul writes: "Husbands, love your wives and be not bitter against them." The husband is to be the lover and the initiator of that love in his relationship with his wife. Yes that means working on that honey-do list, right? Take it out. Do something for her. Show her your love. Don't just say it....though it needs to be said, not just once, but constantly. But you also need to demonstrate it. So as you enjoy this day with your wife, love her dearly and cherish every moment with her! She is God's gift to you in this life. And before I close and you think that there is nothing to say to the wives. Paul goes on to say in Ephesians 5:33, "let the wife see that she respects her husband." Mutual love and mutual respect -- both are aspects of submission that we are called to humbly demonstrate to one another (see Eph.5:21). Let's glorify God in this way today.

No comments: